Person of any age can be a candidate of Rhinoplasty or Nose Job; nevertheless, a person should not opt for it unless he/ she have attained an entire facial growth. For girls the age of complete facial growth is 16 years, whereas for boys the age is 18 years. The bottom line is one should at least cross his/her teenage years to undergo Rhinoplasty.
Criteria for nose job
- If the nose appears disproportionately large compared to the remaining face
- If any hump or depression exists on nasal bridge
- If one has a drooping, crooked or enlarged nasal tip
- If one’s nostrils are oddly flared
- If the nose seems asymmetrical due to injury
- If there is any obstruction on the airway, which causes breathing trouble
Advanced techniques of Rhinoplasty
There are three conventional techniques followed by the experienced team of surgeons include—
- Standard Rhinoplasty: The technique involves complete correction of Nose Bridge, nose tips as well as nostrils.
- Septo – Rhinoplasty: The technique is perfect for patients who want to get their deviated septum (cartilage) corrected along with the nose. The technique corrects all the deformities of the nose and also alters deviated septum as necessary.
- Rhino-tip: The technique involves correction of nose tip as well as nostrils (and alar bases).
Preparing for Surgery
A set of pre-operative instructions, which are needed to be followed strictly before the surgery, is given out on printed copies by the cosmetic clinic prior to the surgery. An overview of the guidelines are as follows—
- Smoking is strictly prohibited for several weeks before the surgery.
- The surgeons ask patients not to take certain medications (blood thinning medicines)
- The patients should bring someone with him/her who needs to stay in the due course of the surgery, so that he/she can arrange for conveyance after surgery and understand the home care guidelines.
The Rhinoplasty Procedure
General anaesthesia is required for the surgery (Rhinoplasty or Septorhinoplasty or both) and it takes an approximate time of 2 hours for the surgery to get over. The duration might vary depending upon the technique i.e. followed. The patient needs to stay in the hospital, at least for one night for thorough monitoring.
Whatever technique is followed, the surgeon will perform the surgery industriously to ensure that there is no visible scarring. The procedure is either carried out making incisions inside the nose for altering bone structure or it is done on the cartilage (in case of Rhino tip procedures).
The surgeon will sit for a one to one consultation to discuss all the encompassing aspects of the procedure and will give suggestions related to the individual case.