According to medical theory, acne is caused due to excessive secretion of androgen hormone. The hormone first starts secreting during puberty; it is also responsible for increased sex drive and over-secretion of sebum (a kind of facial oil). When the skin cells come in contact with sebum, their openings get clogged, which give rise to whiteheads. These whiteheads keep increasing giving rise to black tips and once the acne causing bacteria named propionibacteriumacnes start multiplying vigorously, the face begins to show red inflamed pimples. These pimples gradually get converted into large acnes that cause extreme pain.
Although mainly noticed in teenagers, adult women might also get affected by acne due to factors like sudden hormonal change caused due to irregular periods, pregnancy issues or menopause.
Varieties of Acne
Acne displays a number of symptoms, which include nodules, papules, comedones and pustules. There are various kinds of lumps and spots that can cause prominent scarring. Acne can also be categorized based on the location where it appears, for example on face, chest or back.
Another skin condition caused due to over production of sebum and is often confused with acne is Malassezia folliculitis or Pityrosporum folliculitis. Although common cause of occurrence applies to both conditions, there are some visible differences as well:
- Acne vulgaris: Excessive secretion of sebumblocks hair follicles, which accelerates the action of acnes, a bacterium borne by placid skin. The bacterium, thus, gets an easy site to act causing red inflamed lesions.
- Ø Pityrosporum folliculitis: Increased secretion of sebum causes cultivation and subsequent multiplication of Malessezia furfur, yeast borne by skin. This blocks follicles forming pustules, the symptoms of which are almost similar to acne.
Thus, almost same kind of techniques can be employed to cure both conditions.
Harley Body Clinic has a qualified team of surgeons who provide patients with a number of diverse non-surgical treatments for permanent acne removal. The procedures are listed below:
- Roaccutane: The treatment mainly focuses on the reduction of the primary cause of acne (as well as Pityrosporum folliculitis), i.e. hyper secretion of sebum. The medical team of Harley thoroughly monitors the entire Roaccutane treatment giving the patients with the most effective results.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels help one achieve even skin tone by removing acne scars, which are not so deep. The doctor applies the chemical with cotton tipped applicator at the entire face across the forehead, cheeks and chin. Peels are of two types: Light and Deep.
- Microdermabrasion: Tiny particles are used to scrape the outer layer of the skin. This helps to remove mild scars and stimulate new cell growth. The process is less aggressive than dermabrasion, hence numbing medicine is not required.
- Dermal fillers: These fillers are used to hide acne scarring, thus restoring the youthful appearance of one’s face.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing: A highly energized laser light is used for vaporizing the region scarred due to acne. The common laser lights used include YAG laser, pulsed dye yellow laser, carbon di oxide laser etc.